RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT / F CONCEPT
Infia has created and developed a new side ventilation system called “F concept”.
Good aeration of the tray allows for more rapid pre-cooling of produce and so slows down the ripening process of the fruit, ensuring a longer shelf life.
The holes on the side also permit the escape of ethylene vapours naturally produced by fermentation of the fruit.
Today this extraordinary concept is a standard packaging solution for grapes, strawberries and soft fruits.
Available for models:
K28, K36, K37, K62 and KIT500 (on many more articles shortly).
Advantages for farmers and exporters:
- 25% faster pre-cooling leads to greater productivity of the packing-house.
- More rapid pre-cooling means rapid stoppage of the ripening process and consequently a longer shelf life
- 25% savings on energy
Advantages for importers and supermarkets:
- 25% less CO2 emitted into the atmosphere equals smaller carbon footprint
- Elimination of water vapour condensation at retailers, which means greater visibility of produce and delayed appearance of moulds and fungi
- In case of heat sealing, it is sufficient to use standard film in place of macro/micro perforated film, with considerable cost savings
- Reduction of ethylene emissions, when present, leading to longer shelf life of produce
REAL SIDE VENTILATION
The holes for side ventilation are positioned in the middle to upper part of the punnet, thanks to a perforation technology developed by Infia.
These particular side holes provide two advantages:
- Inside the pre-cooling cells air flows horizontally (and not vertically). The efficiency of side ventilation of the punnet is better than ventilation provided by holes placed at the bottom.
- The pressure the fruit puts on the upper part of the side of the punnet is very low and causes no damage during transport from the place of harvest, packaging and storage or when it reaches supermarket shelves.
Ventilation is “real” because the holes are positioned in the middle to upper part of the punnet rather than at the bottom as with standard vertical perforation technology.
This creates real side ventilation that protects the produce from possible damage during transport and storage.
HEAT-SEALABLE SIDE VENTILATION CONTAINERS
In Heat-sealable containers side ventilation plays a fundamental role.
The holes on the side allow for eliminating condensate better, and so help improve the shelf life of produce.
In addition, use of micro-perforated film is unnecessary, leading to more savings.